About this Show

Hannity

Boomtown Washington, the Imperial City News/Business. (2013) An investigation into the lifestyles of Washington's power elite with a focus on the money and luxury of Washington D.C.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Washington 81, D.c. 40, America 10, Us 7, Steve 6, Sean 5, Phillips 4, Peter Sweitzer 3, Ryon Stewart 3, Hannity 3, Mango JalapeÑo 3, Allstate 3, United States 2, Obama 2, Tamiflu 2, Trent 2, Abilene 2, U.s. 2, Nevada 2, Texas 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Hannity    Boomtown Washington, the Imperial City  News/Business.   
   (2013) An investigation into the lifestyles of Washington's...  

    January 27, 2013
    6:00 - 7:00pm PST  

6:00pm
approved for use as needed in the middle of the night when you can't get back to sleep. it's an effective sleep medicine you don't take before bedtime. take it in bed only when you need it and have at least four hours left for sleep. do not take intermezzo if you have had an allergic reaction to drugs containing zolpidem, such as ambien. allergic reactions such as shortness of breath or swelling of your tongue or throat may occur and may be fatal. intermezzo should not be taken if you have taken another sleep medicine at bedtime or in the middle of the night or drank alcohol that day. do not drive or operate machinery until at least 4 hours after taking intermezzo and you're fully awake. driving, eating, or engaging in other activities while not fully awake without remembering the event the next day have been reported. abnormal behaviors may include aggressiveness, agitation, hallucinations, or confusion. alcohol or taking other medicines that make you sleepy maincrease these risks. in depressed patients, worsening of depression,
6:01pm
including risk of suicide, may occur. intermezzo, like most sleep medicines, has some risk of dependency. common side fects are headache, nausea, and fatigue. so if you suffer from middle-of-the-night insomnia, ask your docto about intermezzo and return to sleep again. ♪ ♪ >> welcome to this specialed digs of "hannity". for the next hour we are taking a look at the business of government in washington, d.c. and how it is making a lot of people very rich with your hard earned money. we spent author peter switzer to our nation's capital to take us inside this new american boom town. take a look.
6:02pm
>> today the tribute comes in the form of trillions of dollars of tax payer money that floods into this city every year. >> while one out of every 6 americans worries about where their next meal is coming from, washington, d.c. has the highest rate of fine wine consumption in the united states. while one out of four americans has a mortgage that is under water, seven of the ten wealthiest counties in the united states are counties around this region. washington, d.c. now has the highest per capita income in the
6:03pm
entire united states. they just passed silicone valley. >> you are going to discover that washington, d.c., a town that used to be a town of sleepy bureaucrats is now a town of moz ratty deal moz rot at this deal fine wine luxurious homes and luxurious shops. it's a washington, d.c. a lot of people never see when they take their tours or go to the museums. it's the washington, d.c. that respects the reality of our country today. >> the great american writer f scott fitzgerald once wrote that the rich are different from you and me. america's previous boom town became wealthy because they produced something. san francisco during the gold rush, abilene, texas, cattle. and of course detroit, during the heyday of the american automobile. all of the boom towns became very wealthy in their time
6:04pm
because they created something. they created something new. this boom town its wealth comes from extracting it from the west of the country. boom town is something no one in washington wants to talk about. when they do they tend to blame the other side. but the reality is today that in washington, d.c. the business is not politics. the business is money. >> joining us now peter schweizer. we are going to open up a can of worms tonight. washington, d.c. three of the wealthiest counties in the country 7 of the top ten. >> that's right. >> this is the thing people don't realize about washington, d.c. seed of federal power politics range between but there's a business. there's a business model there. what exists is what we call the permanent political class. we think of republicans and
6:05pm
democrats there are philosophical differences but at the end of the day they are primarily looking for a way to make money. you don't make money by shrinking government you make money by growing government. >> one in 6 americans in poverty 1 in 4 their mortgages are under water meaning they can't get their way out of the house without losing. >> this is the great unreported story of our time right now. you have this extraction the rest of the country is in a financial economic crisis most is in a depression. you have the three richest counties 7 of the top ten. the big number per capita income is now higher than silicone valley. >> that's amazing. >> it's the 4th city generating millionaires. you look at every fact. >> if you look at every statistic about people and incomes, washington, d.c. the reason is you have a massive federal budget that gets allocated through there. >> it goes a little deeper,
6:06pm
steve. you are right in all of these points these statistics should wake people up. a lot of this is built in it's like a mir mid scheme. they have baseline budgeting. every budget every area of government goes up 6-8 percent a year. they are borrowing 6 percent of everything they spend. >> what's interesting is it's not only allocation of federal dollars but there's a lot of money that comes into washington to determine how that money is going to be allocated. you have tax payer money and special interest interests steering money in their way. it is a town a wash with tax -- cash and it's only going to get worse it's not going to get better. >> one of the arguments i have made as the president as so successfully used the class warfare argument as he has. it is interesting it seems the politicians are the ones that are greedy, selfish, power hungry. they built up their power by granting people government programs, spending other
6:07pm
people's money. how come they have never got tagged as being greedy and selfish as they steel from our kid's piggy banks. >> i think no one turned the camera on them. this is a bipartisan problem not beat down the democrats. they are the party of big government. this is a permanent political class that is formed in air stock see. that is why nothing changes in washing tonight thooes why we have the budget debates. you are talking about cuts in growth rates not cuts in the budget of down sizing. they never cut it. the reason you can tell they have really iks tracted money through taxes and ability to borrow from their lifestyles. in addition there's no pressure on them to really cut. they really control wall street it's not money controls washington. washington controls the money they have industrial logic to the business model that is to extract power in the rest of the country to money into a centralized location which is washington. >> you mentioned maserati
6:08pm
dealerships and fine wines and expensive restaurants and home prices, et cetera. are these the government employees buying the maseratis? >> it is not government employees it's people who influence them people like lobbyists people? government relationships and contracting firms where their only business their only client is federal government. it is money that gets washed around in all of those different ways. the reality i was in washington, d.c. in the 1980s it was a middle class town with wealthy areas. it's a completely different place now. part of it is the size of the federal budget has grown enormous enormously. they take the cut of everything that comes out. >> what are they producing? you are right. we talk about an oil boom, gold rush, cattle, et cetera. they have pro dued something. washington has rrd debts, record deficits and telling people we are going to raise the retirement age one hour before
6:09pm
you die so you get an hours worth of what you paid into your whole life. >> they have a business model. that bills model is government it is bigger government. as long as they have theable to borrow and take tax receipts and borrow. we are trying to put the camera on the business model see the lifestyles of the rich and powerful. >> more to get to tonight. coming up ballooning federal budget has come down for years. you will be astounded seeing where the money is coming from and where it is going. that and more on this special ed kigs of "hannity". [ male announcer ] don't just reject convention. drown it out. introducing e all-new 2013 lexus ls f sport. an entirely new pursuit. constipated? yeah. mm. some laxatives like dulcolax can cause cramps.
6:10pm
but phillips' caplets don't. they have magnesium. for effective relief of occasional constipation. thanks. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. is bigger than we think ... sometimelike the flu.fer from with aches, fever and chills- the flu's a really big deal. so why treat it like it's a little cold? there's something that works differently than over-the-counter remedies. prescription tamiflu attacks the flu virus at its source. so don't wait. call your doctor right away. tamiflu is prescription medicine for treating the flu in adults and children one year and older whose flu symptoms started within the last two days. before taking tamiflu tell your doctor if you're pregnant, nursing. have serious health conditions, or take other medicines.
6:11pm
if you develop an allergic reaction, a severe rash, or signs of unusual behavior, stop taking tamiflu and call your doctor immediately. children and adolescents in particular may be at an increased risk of seizures, confusion or abnormal behavior. the most common side effects are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting. the flu comes on fast, so ask your doctor about tamiflu. prescription for flu.
6:12pm
>> sean: welcome back to special edition of hannity boom >> along with the monuments and tourist attractions when people visit the capital they see
6:13pm
construction and a lot of it. they don't seem to be experiencing the long sluggish so-called recovery that the rest of america is now enduring. in washington business is booming. >> tearing up this whole area after 70, 80 years. they are ready to put something new. >> washington, d.c. is a boom town because this town is literally flooded with money. a lot of that is borrowed money the federal budget was about $2 trillion a decade ago. today it's close to $4 trillion. and that money goes for things like national defense and social welfare programs. but it also stays right here. you see the federal government of washington, d.c. area employs 245,000 people. and the pay and compensation is very good. the average pay in compensation is about $120,000
6:14pm
a year. and those individuals get paid to do all sorts of things. in the parallel universe that is washington, d.c., even the fact that this is borrowed money that we're going into debt creates a job opportunity there is a federal agency called the bureau of the public debt is hiring people to help cope with the money that we are spending that we cannot afford to pay for. the problem goes beyond federal employees because you see, in addition to federal employees, there are legions of government contractors and government contracting firms that spend time and spend a lot of money here in washington, d.c. in fact under president bush that reached some years up to $400 billion being spent to private contractors, indeed over the past decade we are talking about trillions of dollars going to private companies or to contract firms whose clients is the federal government.
6:15pm
washington, d.c. is a new boom town but also a town that faces a lot of income inequality. you see while there are people there getting re very very rich off of taxpayer income under this town there is. washington, d.c. ranks third in the entire country when it comes to income inequality. so this is a town that has its rich but it also has its poor. and we continue with peter sweitzer and stephan ban none. that's an interesting ending to this segment here. because a lot of poor people in washington, the government in some cases right around the block from where a lot of these big monuments, a lot of these tourist attractions are. how could that happen when 15% every dollar they spend is spent in and around washington. >> that's a great question, sean. that's the irony here. you would think that if the vision had any place it would
6:16pm
be washington, d.c. had all this money pouring. in in washington, d.c. really what matters in a lot of cases is connections, relationships, and if you are not in that closed circle, you are not going to get access to the funds. >> sean: you would think that these people that have a monopoly on compassion, steve would just look around them in some of these neighborhoods. i have been to many of them and they are struggling and people are starving and their kids need food stamps to feed themselves. >> it's unacceptable. also, if you look at that statistic that we had on the screen that the top 20% or top 5% is making $475,000 a year. i mean, of all the 50 wealthest cities in the country, it's the top as far as that concentration of wealth. so i think that compassion is all happy talk. i think when you look actually where the money is is spent, how the money is spent and hot money is spent on, you see you have a political class there that's really just concerned about themselves. >> sean: you pointed out too, peter. that doubled the amount of money that washington is spending in a decade from
6:17pm
2 trillion to just shy of $4 trillion a year. probably surpass this year or next. you know, what's interesting about that, is we take in only 2.2 trillion. so if we would have lived within our means, if they didn't grow government just in the last 10 years, we would be a lot better shape. >> yeah, no, absolutely we would. that is what is really troubling about this. not only is washington, d.c. becoming sort of this new investor versai france under royalty. doing it on borrowed money. not a question of them taking tax revenue. they are actually borrowing money and going into washington, d.c. the reality is that, look, there are no incentives in washington, d.c. to cut the size of government. >> sean: they are not going to do it. >> no money to be made. they live in this artificial bubble that is different. >> it's like having a 4 trillion-dollar equity fund every year. the entire g.d.p. of the entire u.s. economy he is $16 trillion. this is about 25% of the economy.
6:18pm
we're not making the argument all spend in washington but it's all control coming through washington every year. that's why there is is no incentive to ever cut anything. these guys are the beneficiary of that $4 trillion. >> sean: wait. where is a sense of patriotism, duty, responsibility to future generations? you say there is no incentive. i thought they are supposed to serve the public. and when you have to rob our children of 46 cents of every dollar we are spending now, i would think there has got to be some. >> the way the founders look at washington and the way it used to be a generation ago. people would come to washington and public service walking away from businesses. come for period of time. serve in the executive branch whether they were republicans or democrats. people would come and serve in congress and then go home. today, that's what i'm talking about extraction. when peter and i talk about that not just extracting tax revenues. getting the best and the bright in the country starting to come to washington because they see a career. they see a way to make aer cro. the reason is when you have the ability to allocate $4 trillion year. and it's increasing.
6:19pm
>> sean: how much political patronage? >> influence pedaling. it's happened in america before. it's happening now. >> sean: never happened like. this not this scale. you are correct. by the way this is a crisis. because you do not have the political will in washington to change it. >> sean: if the media did a little bit of their job, they would be covering this as well but they don't. stay right there. we're going to come back. still to come, members of congress, they love to brag about their family values but coming up next, tell you about the family values they don't want you to know about and why it pays very well to be born into the right family. stay with us as this special edition of hannity boom town continues. red lobster's 30 shrimp. wow, that's a lot of shrimp. [ male announcer ] it's red lobster's 30 shrimp! for $11.99 pair any two shrimp selections on one plate! like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. just $11.99. offer ends soon! i'm ryon stewart, and i sea food diffently.
6:20pm
i wish my patients could see what i see. ♪ that over time, having high cholesterol and any of these risk factors can put them at increased risk
6:21pm
for plaque buildup inheir arteries. so it's even more important to lower their cholesterol, and that's why, when diet and exercise alonaren't enough, i prescribe crestor. in a clinical trial versus lipitor, crestor got more high-risk patients' bad cholesterol to a goal of under 100. [ female announcer ] crestor is not right for everyone. like people with liver disease or women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant. tell your doctor about other medicines yore taking. ll your doctoright away if you have muscle pain or weakness, feel unusually tired, have loss of appetite, upper belly pain, dark urine or yellowing of skin or eyes. these could be signs of rare but serious side effects. ♪ is your cholesterol at goal? talk to youdoctor about crestor. [ femalannouncer ] if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
6:22pm
6:23pm
welcome back to this special edition of hannity boom town. when the balance of power shifts in washington, d.c. no matter who controls the house or senate or even the white house. it's good for business. those who are getting rich in the imperial city. they don't really care who is in charge, as long as the money keeps flowing in. washington, d.c. is america's boom town. like any boom town it needs to have its own aristocracies. in washington, d.c. we think of politics in terms of red and blue. democrat and republican. but here the color is green. we think about political parties and you think about political affiliations, what really matters in washington, d.c. power affiliation. by power affiliation. you are talking about access to political power and access to public officials.
6:24pm
and that comes through lobbying. >> whatever law, whatever bill is trying to be passed, it may have adverse impact on an industry. there is a legislative team for the association and the industry they represent. fortunately for chauffeured transportation, there is no parking on the hill. so we're able to provide chauffeur transportation to make sure that they can get to the hill in a timely manner to sell their vision. there are 100 new house members at one time in the 2010 cycle. what that means is is that every association has to come back to make sure that everything is cool. all right? we're okay. still supporting my bill? thank you for your support and they get off the hill. it's really been great for us in that respect. >> lobbying takes place right here on k street. this is the epicenter of all of it. in full view of the white house and with the u.s. capitol not far away. and when it comes to spending money, large amounts of money
6:25pm
are spent here to influence decision making. it's a distinctly bipartisan activity. in fact, that's the best way to do it. so you have, for example, a republican like former senator trent lot who partners with a democrat, former senator john bro. the political debates that we sau see oftentimes are a little bit like professional wrestling. it's not always what it appears to be. and let it not be said that in washington, d.c. that they don't believe in family values because, to become part of this aristocracies. oftentimes the best way to do it is either to marry into it or to be born into it it's remarkable how many members of congress have family members who are registered lobbyists. consider bill young in florida who has been in office since 1971. he is the head of a very powerful subcommittee that controls spending on defense. he has a daughter-in-law registered lobbists. she has lobbied on one issue.
6:26pm
and done so successfully. it's on defense spending. consider the case of senator harry reid. majority leader democrat from nevada. he has several family members registered lobbists. son lobbied on several groups and secured $50 million in earmarks. he also has another son who is involved in a a billion dollars venture involving a chinese effort to develop an energy project in the deserts of nevada. in that particular case, the majority leader took a personal interest in and helped to push it through. just remember when you see the professional wrestling in washington, d.c., it's not so much red and blue, it's really green, the color that really matters. >> sean: we continue with steve sweitzer. didn't obama say he was going to ban lobbists from his administration. eliminate earmarks? >> most transparent in
6:27pm
history. >> sean: 27 senators. 51 house members that like bill young, i mean bill young has, what is it a sister-in-law? >> daughter-in-law, yes. that's exactly right. >> sean: he is the father-in-law and he sits on this powerful committee and she lobbies him? >> yeah. here is the parallel of the universe that's washington, d.c., sean. you go to every one of the members and say well the fact that my son or daughter or spouse. >> sean: has nothing to do with it? >> i would not let that influence any decision i make. give me a break. that is simply not an acceptable answer. we know how the real world works. this would not be tolerated in corporations and other areas when you deal with nepotism issues. >> it's interesting. because it's such indignation and outrage when something like enron or they can demonize halliburton but yet this is the worse i have ever seen. >> it was never envisioned by the founders. this what we are talking about a political permanent class. they come to washington as country lawyers. they stay. their wives become lobbyists,
6:28pm
their children, their -- >> that's exactly right. if you look at republicans who came in 1994. with the gingrich revolution. 10 years later, of those who had left, half of them were registered lobbists. >> is that because they are not capable of doing anything else? >> it may be. probably the most lucrative thing they could do. the reality is that it becomes very seductive in washington, d.c. and they accept it because everybody else is doing it and that's really the sad reality. it's a massive cultural problem in washington. >> you talk about aristocracies, a political class that exists here. so, for all intents and purposes, you are deal with people that are living off the
6:29pm
public dole, taxpayers were some way shape and form and not called off for it. >> worse than. they have the arrogance to borrow the rest. continue to borrow it not worry at bawl. while their entire families are benefiting from that that's what we talk about the permanent political class. look at incentives. work on wall street. where are the incentives. >> sean: follow the money, steve. >> follow the money. if you follow it see no incentive to cut budget and no incentive to shrink the permanent government. both political parties benefiting. >> sean: did you find people in your investigation that actually do the right thing, people that have higher standards? >> there were a few. >> sean: there are a few? >> you are instilling confidence. >> there are a few, sean. the reality is is it is very hard for those individuals to rise in seniority in either party because the horse trading and the benefiting of family members that takes place is really what helps you
6:30pm
gain in seniority and climb in leadership. >> it's systemic. living high on the hog and the rest of the country is is suffering. >> yes, sir. take a break. come back. a lot more on our special. coming up, imagine spending well, hundred thousand dollars a day. amount one company spent in 2010. it paid off for them big time. we will tell that you story next. [ female announcer ] research suggests cell health plays a key role throughout our lives. one a day women's 50+ is a complete multivitamin designed for women's health concerns as we age. it has 7 antioxidants to support cell health. one a day 50+. we don't let frequent heartburn come between us and what we love. so if you're one of them people who gets heartburn and then treats day afr day... block the acid with prilosec otc and don't get heartburn in the first place!
6:31pm
[ male announcer ] e pill eachmorning. 24 hours. zero heartbur [ male announcer ] it's red lobster's 30 shrimp! for $11.99 pair any two shrimp selections on one plate! like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. just $11.99. offer ends soon! i'm ryon stewart, and i sea food diffently.
6:32pm
more "likes." more tweets. so, beginning today, my son brock and his whole team will be our new senior social media strategists. any questions? since we make radiator valves wouldn't it be better if we just let fedex help us to expand to new markets? hmm gotta admit that's better than a few "likes." i don't have the door code. who's that? he won a contest online to be ceo for the day. how am i supposed to run a business here without an office?! [ male announcer ] fast, reliable deliveries worldwide. fedex.
6:33pm
[ male announcer ] fast, reliable deliveries worldwide. morning, boys. so, i'm working on a cistern intake valve and the guy hands me a locknut wrench. no way! i'm like, what is this, a drainpipe slipknot? wherever your business takes you, nobody keeps you on the road like progressive commercial auto. [ flo speaking japanese ] [ shouting in japanese ] we work wherever you work.
6:34pm
now, that's progressive. call or click today. >> sean: welcome back to this special edition of hannity. now, today to succeed in business, it takes more than a good product, good marketing. it also take as dedication to feeding the beast that is america's new boom town. when most of us visit washington, d.c. who don't come on commercial jets. private corporate jets because in washington, d.c., america's new boom town booming. there is an airport not too far from here out west that literally has 70,000 that is
6:35pm
not to mention dulles airport that has a new jet center to house corporate jets. it was sold out almost immediately when it opened. >> why do they come? they come here because this is where the money is. washington, d.c. is a town that has a business and that business is government. it gives them the opportunity to fret around all sorts of cash. and that looking for. 40 years ago, american corporations didn't have much use for government bureaucrats. only 14% of the largest companies in the united states would put an expolitician or exbureaucrat on their corporate board. those they'd changed dramatically. now it's 50% that have expoliticians or exbureaucrats on their corporate boards. and why do they do that? because they feel like they
6:36pm
have to have the relationships and the contacts with the powers that be in washington in order to effectively stay in business. lobbists spend a lot of money in this town consider single case of general electric. that single company spends every single day, 365 days a year to influence and lobby congress. and who do they pay? they tend to pay the people that voted previously sproated previously to bills that we will related to general electric. former congressman gephart missouri and trent lot from mississippi who have been paid lobists in the past for general electric. how profitable is it to lobby? the sad reality best investment that a corporation can make. in fact, it can be a lot more profitable than buying or creating a new service or a new good. it was a study done a couple
6:37pm
of years ago by two professors at university of kansas. you know what they found? they found that for every. 2004. those companies return ared $220 for their investment. that amounts to a 22,000% return on investments where else you can make that kind of profit in america today? >> sean: 22,000% return on investment. >> yeah. >> sean: that's pretty amazing. 30 major corporations now spend more money on lobbists than they pay in federal taxes. they didn't pay a dime, right? >> that's general electric had a lot of lobbying, government money for green energy. they got tax credits but they spend a lot of time time carving out things in the tax code that benefits specifically them. i'm not somebody who wants people to pay really high taxes. but the reality is, when you have a system in a situation that leads corporations to
6:38pm
feed the beast, so that they can make more money on the side. pay their tithe or make. >> sean: i will be honest, how can they be competitive if they don't, if their competitors are doing it it's washington that i blame for allowing it to happen they set the rules. exactly right. that graph shows 2200% return. if you have after tax return on wall street now of 20%, you are a rock star as far as the company goes it shows you that big government has now made it than that an investment in further big government. and further regulation helps these companies. also, look at the corporate boards. this is the way big government effects capitalism. now that you have to have a bureaucrat or former politician on your board. and the reason companies put them on there because they need somebody help them navigate washington. >> sean: they pay them a lot. do you know what they usually pay them. these corporal punishment boards, you get stock options and pay.
6:39pm
they are very lucrative. you also have liability, too. it's very lucrative. the reason companies do it, they need people to guide them through washington. >> sean: by the way, you mentioned the 70,000 jets landing there. i doubt they are going to the lincoln monument. or the washington monument. i think they are probably going there to make deals you are right. and they have access. >> that's right, sean. interesting illustration was with president obama's inauguration they actually shut down one of the runways at dulles airport it make it for private jets. >> sean: that's so nice. >> this is a massive problem. we are not opposed to wealth creation. when it's wealth creation by extracting it from taxpayers and manipulating in a crony capitalist system. >> sean: if i'm one of the americans i spoke about earlier my house is underwater or one of the six americans on food stamps or this is why we
6:40pm
want to turn the camera on something that has never been exposed. people in washington never want to talk about the house styles. they don't want to talk about the construction and private jets. the private jet guys that built at dulles. they thought it was going to take them several years to sell those slots. they sold out in 72 hours. that is the level of corporations and high rollers. >> sean: they already have a lot of money. if you own a private jet. they are not cheap. >> exactly. got to get in there what about the dinners, the meals, the lunches, that's still going on, right? >> absolutely. washington, d.c. is booming. if you go to the restaurants in washington. they are going to be crowded. it's hard to get into a lot of the venues. that's what is so strange about this. if you go to a lot of the major american cities, business is slightly down or can you get. >> sean: d.c. and the more expensive the restaurant the better off they are doing. >> that's exactly right. i guess they are buying these
6:41pm
congressman and senators would you like a 1964 whatever. i'm not a big wine connoisseur. that's where they're getting them? >> that's exactly right. as we pointed out. while one in six americans are struggling in terms of they are worried about where their next meal is coming from. washington, d.c. is the now the highest town with the rate of consumption of fine wines. they are not getting wine in a box. this is very expensive top flight wine. >> sean: it's not boone's farm? [ laughter ] not bad. take a break. we'll come right back. a problem that lamborghini dealers in washington, d.c. are having. it's not one that you might expect. straight ahead. my bad. tell me you have good insurance. yup, i've got... [ voice of dennis ] ...allstate. really? i was afraid you'd have some cut-rate policy. nope, i've got... [ voice of dennis ] the allstate value plan. it's their most affordable car insurance -- and you still get an allstate agent. i too have... [ voice of dennis ] allstate. [ normal voice ] same agent and everything.
6:42pm
it's like we're connected. no we're not. yeah, we are. no, we're not. ♪ ask an allstate agent about the value plan. are you in good hands? so we created the extraordinarily comfortable sleep number experience. a collection of innovations designed around a bed with dualair technology that allows you to adjust to the support your body needs - each of your bodies. our sleep professionals will help you find your sleep number setting. exclusively at a sleep number store. sleep number. comfort individualized. queen mattresses start at just $699. and save $500 on our special edition bed set. now at the sleep number white sale. until i had the shingles. i have never encountered such a burning sensation... it was like a red rash. like somebody had set a bag of hot charcoal on my neck. i had no idea it came from chickenpox.
6:43pm
it's something you never want to encounter. for more of the inside story, visit shinglesinfo.com like other precious things that start off white, it yellows over time. fact is, when it comes to your smile, if you're not whitening, you're yellowing. crest 3d white whitestrips go below the enamel surface to whiten as well as $500 professional treatments,
6:44pm
at a fraction of the cost. guaranteed, or your money back. crest. life opens up when you do. want a whiter smile today? try 2 hour express whitestrips.
6:45pm
>> and welcome back to the special edition of hannity, boom town. let's go back to washington, d.c. where peter sweitzer shows us how astin in beverly hills they have nothing on our nation's capitol. washington, d.c. is america's new boom town. we traditionally think of the nation's capitol as a town of museums and monuments increasingly washington, d.c. is a town of luxurious living. this is a town where you can buy italian sports cars, ferrari, lamborghini, maserati.
6:46pm
>> we have destination and location borders two wealthiest counties in the united states of america. so it's -- so we have a lot of customers in this area who can afford our cars and we don't need to advertise. >> when you get a complaint from the factory, complaint is you have too many cash buyers. because usually the other way around. some people are trying to reach, you know their income so they can qualify to buy a product. now a case they can very comfortably afford and it pay cash. >> or if you prefer fine wine that's available as well. >> they are interested in award winning wines. they know what they are looking for. >> a lot of wineries have to make like a throw away wine. but we can't sell that kind of wine here. they like the higher end stuff. >> we have restaurants opening everywhere. especially from new york
6:47pm
restaurant tours to vegas restaurant tourists open in this area because business is steady year around. >> washington, d.c. is a town that is unlike the other boom towns of america's past. in that the luxurious living that's afforded here doesn't come from its own creation of wealth. but it comes from extracting wealth from the rest of us. when other towns created automobiles or beef cattle for american consumption, it made them a boone -- boom town. the luxurious lifestyle washington has today which is comparable to beverly hills or wall street is very different. because that wealth creation is really wealth extraction from the rest of us. in washington, d.c. today, there is a game being played, and there are are always winners and losers. but the reality is that when that game is is played, it's played with our money. and we're the ones that end up paying for it. >> sean: we continue with peter sweitzer and steve ban
6:48pm
none. they have too many cash buyers and they don't have to advertise? >> yeah. >> sean: what is the average price? is that a lamborghini dealer in? >> lamborghini and ferrari. maserati. you take your pick. these are cars that say $325,000. and they have cash buyers. you know, look, sean, we don't fault. >> sean: no shortage of them. >> that's exactly right. i'm not begrudging people but this is all connected -- >> -- right. >> sean: though this frankly corrupt. let's call it what it is corrupt economy. >> it's extracting money. not creating a product that people are freely choosing to buy. they are selling access or selling connections and relationships. and so we don't fault the businesses that we highlight here because they're just earning a living. ystem and theople are. corrosive system. here is something to think about, sean. we used to think about when jfk and his family was in the white house. it was camelot. they brought their wealth from the rest of the country to washington, d.c. and created glamour. a lot of the glamour now is people coming to washington
6:49pm
with no wealth and making it off of government sports car and paying cash for it guy sitting there advertising don't have to advertise and guy like in here like in miami and los angeles and they can pay cash. luxurious lifestyle of the rich and powerful has metastasized. fine restaurants which you can't get into. i have never gone one washington correspondent's dinner, steve. i will tell you what, the reason you don't go down there, because you don't like that whole system and how it is set up. >> sean: i don't like the whole scene. no way. >> we have to start looking at this with a jaundiced eye. it this thing is out of control. the founders never wanted things like paris and london
6:50pm
and rome. extracted all the talent and wealth to one location. that's what you have today. >> sean: it's not like they are producing products that people can buy. for example, traditional boom town, let's say it's an oil town. all right. so, a lot of jobs associated. >> silicone valley. >> sean: silicone valley. gold rush if we want to go back a little further. you can literally pinpoint what they are doing. >> they are making people's lives better. you have got cars. you have got beef in abilene, texas. washington, d.c. it's really extraction. to show you how bad it is is, sean, actually, lamborghinis, north american headquarters, it's not in beverly hills. it's not in new york. it's in suburban washington, d.c. that's actually where they put it this is where they see the growth taking place. this is where they see an opportunity to make money in a way that they aren't going to anywhere else. that is extremely troubling. >> sean: the problem with the average -- for the poor average american that works hard. plays by the rules. pays their taxes obeys the laws, all these things, raises
6:51pm
their kids their biggest problem is i guess they are not buddying up to people. buying the right people the expensive bottle of wine and taking them out to dinner and wining and dining and say, listen, i need your help on this bill. >> yeah. >> sean: i need a provision here. can you help me out? >> yeah. >> sean: that's what's happening and they are all getting what they want. >> that's exactly right. if middle class americans could hire lobbyists, their lives would be better. it's a severe subgame in washington, d.c. the success and wealth of washington, d.c. doesn't create wealth for the rest of the country it suck it ups. we need to recognize that because washington is a boom town, that is bad news for the rest of the country. and until we do something about it, until we sort of cut off that supply or reduce it, it's just going to get worse. >> sean: stay right there. we're going to come back. we'll continue more after the break. stay with us as peter and steve do as well. straight ahead. red lobster's 30 shrimp. wow, that's a lot of shrimp.
6:52pm
[ male announcer ] it's red lobster's 30 shrimp! for $11.99 pair any two shrimp selections on one plate! like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. just $11.99. offer ends soon! i'm ryon stewart, and i sea food diffently. ♪ ooh baby, can i do for you today? ♪ [ female announcer ] need help keeping your digestive balance? align can help. nly align has bifantis, a patented probiotic that naturally helps maintain your digestive balance. try align to help retain a balanced digestive system. try the #1 gastroenterologist recommended probiotic. align.
6:53pm
6:54pm
6:55pm
look, i agree with earlier comments both made. both sides are guilty but the party of big government is the
6:56pm
democratic party. we heard the president new hampshire his inaugural address now doubled down on big spending. he gets the stimulus passed. $6 trillion in new debt. every other president up to this point, $10 trillion in debt he is going to literally create or accumulate more debt than every other president combined ahead of him. is it worse under obama stimulus, healthcare, does that have a big impact? >> i think it has. no question that his aagain da was to in a sense spend us out of recession and that didn't work and a lot of the money ended up being captured in washington august. if you look at the per capita average stimulus money washington, d.c. got nine times what the average american got outside of washington. >> sean: how does, washington, get 15% of all of the federal budget? >> that is the crisis we are in. the crisis is where you have a president or party of big government and the junior party
6:57pm
s the party of little big government but you no party of limited government. what we have and you see this with the stimulus and the bailouts of the banks that everything s concentrated in washington now. the rest of the country has not pulled out of the recession. washington has the lowest unemployment and highest per cap income. >> sean: a real estate market that is the most robust in the country. they are doing fine. we are nonpartisan in this. this is both party's problems. what is scary is if you listen to the president's inaugural address he doubles down. forget the policies. if you look at the scale of the government he is very up front. bigger government is a solutions provider and that means this problem of a permanent political class is only going to get worse. look at sequestration and the spending cuts and the debt ceiling we believe it is all a dog and pony show. there is really not going to
6:58pm
get cut, only get large. he never spoke at the inaugural address about balancing the budgets and living within our means and making difficult choices. just the opposite. he seems to want to lock in this permanent welfare dependency mentality in the country which pretty much guarantees america becomess. >> you have this philosophical id long-timal mentality. what we like to think of unfortunately is that politics in washington is a little bit now like professional wrestling okay. there is this demonstration going on but it is kind of scripted and it doesn't really get to the full truth of what is going on. >> sean: there are two other issues we haven't dealt with yet. one is the media. they are not doing specials on this. number two, american people you know what, i don't know if they are either aware or they don't care. you want to weigh in here but the bottom line is they voted
6:59pm
in obama. i got chris matthews all mad, he didn't get a tingle up his spine when i said i voted for obama i ancient the -- when said i voted for obama and i accept the results of that, good luck with that. >> we have been working for a long time it think through the issues. "new york times" finally a week ago had an article about this. we hope the mainstream media starts to focus on. >> they are not going to. >> if the american people start to demand this and the more time you do shows like this and bring it to light people will get angry. i don't think the dna in the country changed when governor romney talked about the 47%. the problem we have to start looking at is the corporations and big government in partnership to drive the programs. one of the things we are trying to show in the special s the fact there is a business model in washington, d.c. that has an industrial logic to grow government. it is not that i don't think people want these entitlements.